What a massive week, The Super Mario Bros. Movie gets shown off, Tencent expands, looking to acquire a majority stake, CDPR announces Five new games, Need for Speed Unbound gets a trailer, and Overwatch 2 gets DDoS'd.
🕹️ The Console War Rages On
- Horizon Zero Dawn Remake/Remaster in development - According to a new report, Horizon Zero Dawn - first released in 2017 - is set to receive a remake/remaster for the PS5 and PC. This new version is set to have improved lighting, textures, animations, models, and accessibility options. There is also a new multiplayer component in the form of Co-op. (Source)
- Tencent is seeking a majority stake in gaming companies. Over the years, Chinese Technology & Entertainment conglomerate Tencent has been acquiring minority stakes in several large gaming studios and publishers, Activision-Blizzard, FromSoftware, and Epic Games, to name a new. A report published by Reuters indicates that Tencent is preparing to acquire many of the 'chart-topping' game studios and publishers by going from minority stake ownership to majority stake ownership. (Source)
- PS5 has been jailbroken - A new exploit from @SpecterDev allows the PS5 to be jailbroken. The exploit is unstable and will only work about 30% of the time, the exploit provides read/write access, but there is no execute access at the moment. The exploit was initially made on v4.03 but has since been ported to v4.5 on the PS5. (Source)
- CD Projekt has announced five new games in development - CDPR had a recent presentation where they outlined the next five games they are working on and additional information regarding the company's general goals. There is a new IP in development codenamed Hadar, a new Witcher project under the name Sirius, the latest Witcher 3 sequel that will kick off a new trilogy named Polaris, a new story-driven Witcher Game using the Canis Majoris name, as well as Orion - a sequel to Cyberpunk 2077. They also indicated that in the future, all games would include multiplayer. They have new content, which includes Mobile, TV & Film, in association with external partners. They are also opening a new Studio in North America. (Source)
- Overwatch 2 gets DDoS'd - Overwatch 2 multiplayer launch this week saw a barrage of issues hit Blizzard and the Overwatch 2 game. Multiple DDoS attacks rendered players unable to get into the game with queue lengths as large as 80,000. Blizzard has since dropped the phone number requirement for its existing player base coming from Overwatch 1. (Source)
- The Super Mario Bros Movie trailer has launched. In a Nintendo Direct, Nintendo showed off the new movie, with interviews from the animation studio behind the project, Illumination, and Nintendo's own Shigeru Miyamoto. (Source)
- Need For Speed Unbound gets a trailer and release date - A new trailer dropped for the Unbound featuring A$AP Rocky. The trailer shows off a new cell-shaded look, drawing inspiration from comics and other stylized games. The game will be released on the 2nd of December, 2022. (Source)
- Steam Deck Dock pre-orders go live - The Steam Deck Dock pre-orders have gone live. The Dock will feature 3 USB-A 3.1 Gen1 ports, a USB-C for power, DisplayPort, HDML, and a Gigabit Ethernet port. (Source)
✨ Going to Events Spiritually
- Xbox Game Pass will receive Chivalry 2, Scorn, A Plague Tale: Requiem, and More. (Source)
🎮 Where's My Controller?
- I've been trying to get into Warhammer. One of my friends recommended that I play Total War: Warhammer. I tried it out, but I don't know if it's for me. I like the civilization aspect of the game, but the core battle gameplay feels too sluggish and hard to control. I've been told it gets better once you get accustomed to it.
- I've been trying to make my way through more of Terraria. I also realized I made a mistake in not making the world a large world from the get-go. But I will have to do another run to get the Crimson achievements. I don't know if I want to jump into a big world, abandon my medium world, or do a run quickly after completing the medium run.
📝I don't know what a pen looks like.
- This week, I was pretty deep in my job, so I haven't touched the other content pools.
💖 Enjoy this newsletter?
Forward to a friend and let them know where they can subscribe (hint: it's here).