GTA IV hacker caught, Overwatch wants your Phone Number, PlayStation 5 gets hardware upgrade, Netflix jumps in with in-house game studio!
UK arrests potential GTA hacker, PlayStation gets a new APU, Blizzard demands your phone number to launch Overwatch, Netflix continues to build out their game studios, Verizon teases new Razer Edge 5G cloud streaming handheld and Google Stadia sunsets.
This week saw massive news across multiple fronts, the UK arrests potential GTA hacker, PlayStation gets a new APU, Blizzard demands your phone number to launch Overwatch, Netflix continues to build out their game studios, Verizon teases new Razer Edge 5G cloud streaming handheld and Google Stadia sunsets.
🕹️ The Console War Rages On
- Onimusha to get anime adaptation - During Netflix's fan event, TUDUM, among the releases, it was announced that Onimusha is set to get its anime adaptation based on Capcom's legendary Onimusha series. (Source)
- UK Police arrests 17-year-old in connection with GTA 6 leaks - The teenager has been charged with two counts of breach of bail conditions and two counts of computer misuse. While the police did not connect the teenager to the GTA 6 leaks, journalist @MatthewKeysLive confirmed that the teen was previously arrested for attacks on Microsoft & Nvidia earlier this year, and the teen associates with the group "Lapsus$". (Source, Tweet)
- PS5 now has a new APU - According to Angstronmics, the new Playstation 5, lighter than the previous model, is now confirmed to be using a 6nm chip. According to the report, this chip has a smaller footprint than the previous model and will allow Sony to produce up to 20% more chips per silicon wafer. This appears to be a potential solution to the demand for PS5, outweighing the supply. (Source)
- Netflix to build a ground-up game studio - Netflix has established an internal game development studio in Helsinki, Finland. Netflix currently has Next Games as part of their development studios. They stressed that the studios would be focused on making 'engaging' original games with 'no-ads' and 'no in-app purchases'. (Source)
- Terraria 1.4.4 releases - The hit game, which was supposed to get its final update with the previous "Journey's End" update, has gotten a new update that brings new quality of life changes, new weapons, balancing, new seeds, and much more. (Source)
- Verizon unveils new cloud streaming gaming handheld - During the Mobile World Congress keynote, Verizon unveiled the new Razer Edge 5G. A new hybrid cloud and local gaming device powered by the Snapdragon G3X Gen 1. It will be an android device that you can play locally, stream from your computer or access from the cloud using Verizon's 5G Ultra Wideband. (Source)
- Overwatch 2 will require a phone number to launch - As part of Overwatch 2's "Defense Matrix Initiative", Blizzard will require players to now link a phone number to their Battle net accounts in other to launch the game. They will be preventing players with pre-paid and VOIP from linking their numbers. Blizzard will now also use machine learning for voice transcriptions to help detect harmful behaviour. They will also introduce a new First Time User Experience which will unlock heroes and modes throughout 100 matches for accounts created on or after the launch date of Overwatch 2. Blizzard has also implemented internal and external Task forces that will work closely with the community to detect bad behaviour and action against it. (Source)
- Google Stadia has marked for shutdown - Google has stated that Stadia did not meet the expectations. As a result, they will be winding down the service until January 2023, after which the service will be shut down. Google will refund all Stadia hardware purchases made through the Google Store and all game and add-on content purchases made through the Stadia store. (Source)
✨ Going to Events Spiritually
- PlayStation Plus gets Hot Wheels Unleashed, Injustice 2, and Superhot for October. (Source)
- Games with Gold gets Windbound & Bomber Crew: Deluxe Edition. (Source)
🎮 Where's My Controller?
- With the release of Terraria 14.4, I've poured over 15 hours since its release. I've been having a lot of fun trying to beat the game again. I haven't touched Terraria in years.
🎵 Turn it up to 11!
- Very few games scream the late 90s, early 00s PC games as DX-Ball 2. And the gorgeous, smooth, captivating audio remaster in preparation for the game's 20th anniversary in 2016 is an absolute delight. Even if you haven't played this game, these old-school techno tunes will broaden your horizon. Listen to the remaster soundtrack by Sheep Hour Records & Sidewinder. Also, pick up the game over on Steam.
📝I don't know what a pen looks like.
- No updates for this week. When I wasn't playing Terraria, I was putting out fires at work.
💖 Enjoy this newsletter?
Forward to a friend and let them know where they can subscribe (hint: it's here).