Every major publisher held presentations at Tokyo Game Show for a massive week for video games. Ubisoft details new game costs for their AAA games, clarifying Assassin's Creed Adult Only rating, Xbox shows off new integrations, and Nintendo, Sony, Capcom, SEGA, and more show-off games for the next two years.
Hey thanks for reading, if there is a game, or just something more in the games space you want me to cover, or report on, please let me know using this Google Form. Thank you.
🕹️ The Console War Rages On
- Marvel's Midnight Suns get 2022 release date - During D3 Expo 2022, 2K and Marvel Entertainment released a new gameplay trailer. Midnight Suns will release on the 2nd of December, 2022. It will release for the Windows PC, Xbox Series X|S and PlayStation 5, with last-gen (+ Nintendo Switch) versions coming later. (Source)
- Ubisoft clarifies Assassin's Creed Adult Only rating. In a tweet by the official Assassin's Creed Twitter, the account pointed out that the game is still pending rating, and they are reassuring players that are no real-world gambling or loot boxes in-game. (Source)
- Ubisoft's AAA games will be $70 US in the future - In a report by Axios, Ubisoft CEO Yves Guillemot has indicated that Ubisoft's AAA games will be $70 US from here on out. This comes following several other publishers moving towards $70 as the default from $60. It is important to note that this is the first increase in the base price of AAA video games in decades. The report also goes into more detail addressing recent misconduct issues between employees and management, among other topics. (Source)
- Advance Wars 1 + 2 has been delayed indefinitely - Stephen Totilo, an Axios correspondent, asked Nintendo if Advance Wars 1 + 2 had been cancelled, and Nintendo's rep stated that the release had been delayed. They will announce the new date once it has been determined. (Source)
- Xbox integrates HowLongToBeat - The website that allows users to determine how long it would take to beat a game in different styles (Main Story, Main Story + Extras, Completionist) will now be integrated into the Xbox PC App. You can view the entire library at its official website, HowLongToBeat.com. The integration will allow users to make better choices when picking another game to play. (Source)
- Microsoft to be further investigated due to acquisition of Activision-Blizzard - Microsoft has declined to provide relevant materials to the UK's Competition and Markets Authority after they issued concerns following their first phase of investigations into the acquisition. Microsoft was given five business days to supply evidence outlined by the CMA but refused, stating that "there were no obvious commitments it could make that the CMA would likely accept". CMA has issued the second-phase investigation to be carried would, with regulators expected to carry out a more scrutinous investigation due to the potential impact of the acquisition. (Source)
- Splatoon 3 has sold 3.45 million units in its first three days - Nintendo has published a press release to inform the public that Splatoon 3, released on the 9th of September, 2022, had surpassed 3.45 million units sold in just three days. The 3.45 million units are domestic - Japan - only. The press release indicates that it is the best performing domestic sales level for any Nintendo Switch software within its first three days. (Source)
✨ Going to Events Spiritually
This week was Tokyo Games Showcase, and almost every major publisher had a presentation. Nintendo and Sony had their presentations early in the week. With Capcom, RGG, Konami, and SEGA later in the week. Unfortunately, I could not cover everything that happened. I chose to cover Nintendo Direct, Sony's State of Play, Capcom and RGG's presentation for Yakuza/Like a Dragon.
Nintendo had their Direct on the 13th of September, 2022.
- Fire Emblem Embrace gets a new trailer that shows off a gorgeous cinematic and a look at characters, gameplay and small story bits. The trailer also announces release date of the 20th of January 2022. The game will also receive a collectors edition called "Divine Edition", containing the game, a steel book case, art cards, an art book, and a poster.
- It takes Two finally makes its way to the Switch. The game will feature split-screen co-op, local co-op via wifi, and online with a friend pass. It will release on the 4th of November, 2022.
- Fatal Frame: Mask of the Lunar Eclipse, a new entry in the horror franchise, is set to release in early 2023.
- Xenoblade Chronicles 3 gets wave 2 of its DLC expansion with a new Character, the mechanical Ino. New challenge battles will also be added, where you receive special outfits and items. It will be available on the 13th of October, 2022.
- Spongebob Squarepants gets a new platformer set for release in 2023, featuring the original voice cast reprising their respective roles.
- Fitness Star: Fist of the North Star is an arcade-style boxing game where you motion boxing moves as you defeat waves of enemies. The game is set for a 2023 release.
- Tunic, the isometric game, gets a release on the 27th of September, 2022.
- Front Mission 1st & Front Mission 2, tactical turn-based games, both get remakes, and the first is set for a November 2022 release. The second game was previously unavailable outside of Japan and has a 2023 release window. They also announced that Front Mission 3 would receive a future remake for the Nintendo Switch.
- Story of Seasons: A Wonderful Life receives a gameplay trailer which shows off several game mechanics in the critically acclaimed franchise. This includes a new age-up system where the main character and the NPCs will age as the game progresses. You will also be able to have children, and these children will also grow up according to how you raise them. The game is set for a Summer 2023 release window.
- Splatoon 3 gets a trailer showing off some new free updates in the cosmetics department and the announcement of the first post-launch Splatfest.
- Octopath Traveller gets a new instalment in the franchise, featuring eight new playable characters. The game is set for release on the 24th of February, 2023.
- Fae Farm is a farm sim RPG with battle mechanics, with up to four players in online or local multiplayer. Exclusive for the Switch in Spring 2023.
- Theatrhythm: Final Bar Line, an anniversary game for Final Fantasy, will feature iconic songs from across each game as you play through each game's stories via their soundtracks. You can play local co-op or battle online against four other players. The game is set for the 16th of February, 2023. After launch, the game will feature Paid DLC for games from Octopath Traveller, Nier, SaGa, Live A Live and more.
- Mario + Rabbids: Sparks of Hope got a new trailer showing off new gameplay and an overview of secondary things such as sparks and shop information. It also showed off some story bits. It launches on the 20th of October, 2022.
- Rune Factory 3 Remake heads to the Switch in a new remake of the original. A new mode has been added for more time with your chosen spouse. Rune Factor 3 arrives on Nintendo Switch in 2023. They also announced that a new Run Factory series would launch in the future.
- Nintendo 64 gets PilotWings 64, Mario Party 1 + 2 + 3, Pokemon Stadium 1 + 2, 1080 Snowboarding, Excitebike 64 will get added in the future gradually. Pilotwings 64, Mario Party, and Mario Party 2 will arrive in 2022, while Mario Party 3, Pokemon Stadium 1 + 2, 1080 Snowboarding, and Excitebike 64 will be prepared for a 2023 release. Golden Eye will also be coming soon with Online Play.
- Various Daylight, an RPG that sees you doing daily tasks to improve your relationship with townsfolk and gain new powers, launched the same day.
- Factorio lands on the Switch on the 28th of October, 2022.
- Mario Strikers: Battle League gets a new free update which includes Pauline and Diddy Kong. A new stadium, as well as new gear, is also added.
- Atelier Ryza 3 gets a new trailer which shows off the world and new characters and battle mechanics. It will launch on the 24th of February, 2023.
- Mario Kart 8 gets a new trailer showing off Merry Moutain from Mario Kart Tour and DS Peach Gardens from Mario Kart DS as part of the new wave of Mario Kart DLC.
- Nintendo Switch Sports will get a new Golf mode via a free update with 21 holes from the Wii Sports series. The update has been moved to Late 2022 for its release.
- The Mario movie being developed with Illumination Entertainment is scheduled for Spring 2023. The Super Mario World is also set to arrive in Hollywood, California, next year. They also went through a detailed overview of Pikmin Bloom.
- An announcement trailer for Pikmin 4 was also shown off, indicating a 2023 release.
- Just Dance 2023 was also shown off with online multiplayer.
- Another trailer for Harvestella was shown off. It shows more of the stories, gameplay and world. The trailer also shows off more of the characters. The Demo for the game will also launch on the 13th of September, 2022, allowing players to carry over their save game to the full game when it releases on the 4th of November, 2022.
- Bayonetta 3 gets a new trailer, which shows off more of the characters and some more gameplay and makes a couple of callbacks to Bayonetta 1 + 2. The game is set for the 28th of October, 2022 release.
- Master Detective Archives: Raincode, from the makers of Danganrompa, a detective game, launches first on the Switch in Spring 2023.
- Resident Evil Village will arrive as a cloud-based version. Resident Evil 2 + 3 will also be available this year on the Switch via cloud streaming.
- Crisis Core - Final Fantasy VII: Reunion launches on the 13th of December, 2022. It features newly updated battle mechanics, graphics, and a soundtrack.
- Tales of Symphonia will get a remastered release. It will be available in early 2023.
- Kirby's Return to Dreamland Deluxe will launch on the 24th of February, 2022.
- The Legend of Zelda Tears of The Kingdom gets its name, and its release date of the 12th of May 2023.
Sony had its state of play on the 13th of September, 2022.
- Tekken 8 was finally shown off with a still-in-development cinematic mixed with a gameplay trailer featuring Jin and Kazuya fighting it out. No further information was revealed.
- RGG Studios officially showed off Like a Dragon: Ishin, a remake of the original Ishin rebuilt in the Dragon Engine. It is the first time the game will be made available outside Japan.
- A new trailer showed off a PlayStation-exclusive quest for Hogwarts Legacy, The Haunted Hogsmeade Shop, which includes an additional dungeon, a shopkeeper's cosmetic set, and the in-game Hogsmeade shop. The game will release on the 10th of February, 2023.
- Grace Chen, Vice President of Global Marketing for PlayStation, gave more details about the upcoming PlayStation Stars loyalty program. She gave a quick view of the digital collectables you could earn from in-console quests. The system will roll out in Asia, followed by America & Europe.
- Stellar Blade, a Korean action-adventure hack and slash, is set to be a PlayStation 5 console exclusive, due for a 2023 release.
- Team Ninja announces their new project, Rise of the Ronin, a PlayStation 5 exclusive that will arrive in 2024. A new action RPG.
- They ended the show with a new trailer for the God of War controller accessory.
- It was followed by a new trailer for God of War Ragnarok. The game is set for release on the 9th of November, 2022.
Capcom also had their presentation.
- Street Fighter 6 got a new trailer that shows off returning characters such as Ken, Dhalsim, E Honda, and Blanka. The trailer gave viewers more information about World Tour and the Battle tour. A closed beta is also scheduled for the 7th of October, 2022 and the 10th of October, 2022.
- Winter's Expansion, the new DLC for Resident Evil Village, was shown off. It features the new third-person camera and the new story featuring Rose sixteen years into the future.
- Resident Evil 4 will also receive a remake and will be coming to multiple platforms.
- Monster Hunter Sunbreak received a trailer which shows off the next wave of DLC, which includes new monsters, new challenges, new layered gear, and more.
- Exoprimal got another overview trailer. This trailer shows off more of the gameplay and other mechanics and game modes.
- Megaman Battle Network Legacy Collection received a special mini-presentation. They went over new features for the collection, including standard features such as an art gallery and a music player featuring 188 songs from across the franchise. They will also have a fully voiced Megaman who will provide blurbs as you navigate the menus. It was also announced that each game in the collection would have chip trading and multiplayer battles.
Ryu Ga Gotoku Studios, the development studio behind the Yakuza and Lost Judgement games, had their presentation alongside SEGA, where they showed off multiple new entries, remakes, and re-releases.
- Like a Dragon: Ishin! is due for release on the 21st of Feburary, 2023. The game takes place in the late 1800s, with returning characters from the Yakuza/Like a Dragon franchise taking on new roles in pre-Meiji-era Japan.
- Like a Dragon Gaiden: The Man Who Erased His Name will be coming in 2023. The game will follow Kiryu, the main protagonist from the first six Yakuza/Like a Dragon (and one prequel game in Yakuza 0) games, as players get to see what happened to him after he assumed the new name of Joryu. The game is set between the 6th and 8th instalment of the main games.
- Like a Dragon 8 has been announced for 2024. The announcement trailer shows off Kasuga, and then he is joined by the returning former protagonist Kiryu as they will both be the dual protagonists in the next entry. No further details were given.
🎮 Where's My Controller?
- I'm up to chapter 7 in Xenoblade Chronicles. I didn't play too much this week, but I hope to complete the game over the next two weeks. Especially with Lost Judgement now on Steam, I want to play those two games.
- I also have the rest of the Yakuza/Like a Dragon franchise to complete. My time in Yakuza 0 was well spent.
📝I don't know what a pen looks like.
- So this week was an absolute monster of a week. You saw the "Going to Events Spiritually" section. So while I didn't work on the "Blue Reflection" video, I fully intend on doing that.
- I also have a new piece in the works about Xenoblade Chronicles. This brings the total up to four unreleased pieces. Yeah. My bad.
💖 Enjoy this newsletter?
Forward to a friend and let them know where they can subscribe (hint: it's here).