Denuvo attacks Switch emulators, SEGA has plans for dormant IPs, MSI sets up a challenge for the Xbox, and PlayStation 5 gets a price increase, all while Gamescom rages on.
Hey thanks for reading, if there is a game, or just something more in the games space you want me to cover, or report on, please let me know using this Google Form. Thank you.
🕹️ The Console War Rages On
- Mega Drive & Genesis Mini 2 gets a complete game list - Sega has shown off the new list of games available for the new mini console. It includes new unreleased titles. (Source)
- Space Channel 5 and Comix Zone have been greenlit for movies! - SEGA has partnered with PictureStart to create new movies based on the Space Channel 5 and Comix Zone properties. (Source)
- MultiVerses has official hit 20 million players - Warner Bros announced that the MultiVerses game has officially hit 20 million accounts registered. These 20 million accounts were created within the game's first month available. (Source)
- Masahiro Sakurai has opened a new game design YouTube channel - Super Smash Bros & Kirby developer Masahiro Sakurai has opened a YouTube channel dedicated to video game design. He says his goal is to invest in the games industry so that players and aspiring game developers can learn a bit more, and he hopes to help make the games industry make fun games. This channel is extremely well-written and amazingly put together. It was a joy to watch, and I hope you give it a shot because regardless if you are a developer or not, just seeing how games are designed and the considerations that go into them could help deepen your enjoyment of games. (YouTube Channel)
- Denuvo will be coming to Switch - Irdeto has launched Denuvo to block games from being emulated. The software will be available to developers as part of the build toolchain process. This has sparked a backlash from the Switch community as Denuvo has been known to cause game performance issues. This project is not being done together with Nintendo. This is a developing story. (Source, Press Release)
- MSI has launched a new game console - PC manufacturer, MSI, has launched the Trident S - an Xbox-like console running on what appears to be Windows 11. The console will support Steam Big Picture, MSI App player, and Xbox Game Pass. The console will come with its own MSI branded custom controller. The console is an 800 USD small form factor PC. It will have an 8-core Ryzen processor and a Radeon Vega 7. (Source)
- PlayStation 5 to get price hike - Due to inflation and global economic issues, Sony has decided to increase the prices of the PS5 across select regions, which includes Europe, the UK, Japan, China, Australia, Mexico, and Canada. The price ranges are pretty broad, ranging from 5-10% in different regions. (Source)
✨ Going to Events Spiritually
Gamescom opened this week, and a massive list of games got new releases, new trailers, and more information about them. This also occured over the days when Gamescom was scheduled to be. There were a lot of games, most of which I won't cover, but I'll share some of my personal highlights. (YouTube Live Stream)
- Dune Awakening got a cinematic trailer, and the trailer confirmed that the game would be an open-world survival MMO.
- Destiny 2: Lightfall was announced showing off a cyberpunk/synthwave style city with a rather interesting art direction. This was also a cinematic trailer.
- Sonic: Frontiers got a story trailer. We got more information about the mysterious new entry in the Sonic franchise being revealed. We got to see Sonic blast through nature, cities, old maps, and new maps, and a look at the more completed courses scattered in the semi-open world. We also got a closer look at more enemies and boss battles.
- A new trailer was shown off for Return to Monkey Island. The trailer showed off a few new places for the player to explore in this point and click adventure.
- Stranded Alien Dawn, an open-world survival game which sees you trying to survive on a hostile alien planet will arrive in Early Access in October 2022.
- Homeworld 3 got a trailer intersperced with gameplay. The trailer noted that all footage was created in-game.
- Rick and Morty's creator's new game High On Life gets a new trailer. The gameplay trailer shows off a boss battle and gives a preview of the character interactions.
- Where Winds Meet is a Chinese open-world action game, the gameplay segments look great, and the style and flare are fully displayed throughout the trailer.
There were quite a few games that didn't stand out to me but still are exciting and provide more unique experiences.
🎮 Where's My Controller?
- Well, this week I finally bit the bullet and installed Spider-Man Remastered. All 80 GBs of it. So I'll probably start the game this week.
🎵 Turn it up to 11!
- Oh, I also forgot about this, this week. Uh, next week for sure.
📝I don't know what a pen looks like.
- This weekend I started preparing my video for the Blue Reflection piece I did. The audio is recorded, so its just to edit that down, and begin the video production aspect of it.
- I'm working on the other pieces that I mentioned in the last newsletter.
💖 Enjoy this newsletter?
Forward to a friend and let them know where they can subscribe (hint: it's here).