This week sees more fallout from companies pursuing NFTs. The FTC cracks down on Microsoft's acquisition of Activision-Blizzard. Rumors of major buyouts are swirling around. Sony, not to be outdone by Microsoft, acquire's Bungie.
🕹️ The Console War Rages On
- Team17 abandons plans for NFTs following outrage from gamers. (Source)
- The FTC won't let Microsoft be! The FTC (Federal Trade Commission) is set to investigate the Microsoft buyout of Activison-Blizzard. If it goes anything like the Microsoft Anti-trust lawsuits of the 90s or the more recent nVidia failed acquisition of ARM, Microsoft will have a lot to worry about. (Source)
- Geoff Keigheley states that he has heard more video game acquisitions are to come later this year. Although this should be treated as rumors for now. (Source)
- Sony has acquired Bungie for 3.6 billion USD. (Source)
- Sony also announced later in the week that upwards of 1.2 Billion USD is being used to retain previous staff at Bungie. An interesting and hopefully good sign that Sony will try to take care of the legacy staff. (Source)
- Yacht Club Games, the developers behind Shovel Knights, announces new game, "Mina, The Hallower", during their Yacht Club Games Presents. They are also testing if people wants it by launching a Kickstarter for it. It will most likly be out in 2023 at earliest. (Source, Kickstarter)
- Halo Infinite's roadmap has been delayed. (Source)
- Pokemon Legends: Arceus sells 1.425 Million Copies in Japan in its opening week. It now stands behind Animal Crossing: New Horizons (which had 1.881 Million Units sold in its first week.) (Source)
✨ Going to Events Spiritually
- Steam's Year of the Dragon New Year Sale ended! What did you all pick up?
- Nintendo currently has a pretty huge sale going on on their eShop. (Source)
- Xbox has their anime month sale going on. (Source)
- PlayStation has a Critics Choice Sale going on. (Source)
- Cyber Shadow: 1 Year Anniversary Sale & Soundtrack NOW on Bandcamp. (Bandcamp)
🎮 Where's My Controller?
- I picked up Pokemon Legends: Arceus. Let me tell you. This is fantastic. The game was clearly made with the Switch's Handheld mode in mind. The games looks so much better in handheld. But it looks so pretty docked as well. The gameplay loop is stupid strong, and its just an absolute joy roaming around. I do have some nitpicks, but you'll have to wait for my full piece on in, in probably a month.
🎵 Turn it up to 11!
- Cyber Shadow's Soundtrack is absolute. I enjoyed this game's trailer for its music. I picked up a copy of this game, but I haven't gotten to it since I'm playing Pokemon. Check out the sountrack on Bandcamp.
📝I don't know what a pen looks like.
- Due to personal issues, and my job, once again this week sees no new posts. I have not been able to keep up with my "Should You Play?" series on my main YouTube Channel. I'm looking to get that fixed this month.
💖 Enjoy this newsletter?
Forward to a friend and let them know where they can subscribe (hint: it's here).